Taylor Swift announces new album: The Tortured Poets Department

Taylor Swift announces new album, “The Tortured Poets Department” at the Grammy’s. Photo by: Rolling Stone

On Feb. 4, once again, celebrities gathered around the stage at the Beverly Hilton Hotel for the 81st Annual Golden Globes. 

During Grammy-winner Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech for winning Best Pop Vocal Album for her album Midnights, she announced that her new album, The Tortured Poets Department, will be out on April 19, 2024.

Variety reports that Swift said: “I want to say thank you to the fans by telling you a secret that I have been keeping from you for the last two years, which is that my brand-new album comes out April 19th. It’s called ‘The Tortured Poets Department.’ I’m going to go and post the cover right now backstage. Thank you, I love you! Thank you!” 

Fans, who were hoping for her to announce the re-record of her album Reputation, were both shocked and thrilled by her announcement of her new album instead. 

“I thought Rep [Reputation] was going to come out, and then I thought someone was pranking me, because they texted me saying ‘there’s a new album’ and I was like ‘no way, that’s not true it’s Rep, Rep TV [Taylor’s Version],’ and then it wasn’t, and I’m excited” sophomore Willa Cross said.

After writing and coming out with albums for years, Swift’s music eventually got lost in the hands of music manager Scooter Braun, who sold all of her albums [only 6 at the time] to Shamrock Holdings in 2020. Swift decided to reclaim her music, so she has been re-recording all of her albums and declaring them as her own by adding “(Taylor’s Version)” to the album and song names. She currently only has two left to release.

Over the past few weeks, she announced the release of her new album and shared the tracklist and different album variants which each include a different bonus track on each of the records. The different variants are The Manuscript, The Bolter, The Albatross, and The Black Dog.

• Taylor Swift shares “The Albatross” variant of her new album via Instagram (@taylorswift).

• Taylor Swift shares “The Bolter” variant of her new album via Instagram (@taylorswift).

• Taylor Swift shares new album via Instagram (@taylorswift).

• Taylor Swift shares “The Black Dog” variant of her new album via Instagram (@taylorswift).

Along with the release of her new album, Swift has been on her sold-out tour, The Eras Tour, for about a year now. This tour goes through all her different albums, also known as different “eras.” 

Fans are both excited and impressed by how much Swift is working and are counting down the minutes until April 19, as The Tortured Poets Department is finally available to stream.