Madrigals try out a cappella singing: Prepare for performance

Photo by Keith Stone

Vivian Geilim staff writer
From choir music to modern ballads, the Madrigals have sung it all. However, with the new year comes the time for a new style of music. On Wednesday, Jan. 27, Madrigals welcomes their audience to a cappella singing.
“I’m super excited for the show. It’s really cool that Madrigals allows us to explore many different types of performing. It’s really cool to get to experience multiple different types of music ranging from classic songs to pop culture,” senior PJ Goolsby said.
For the first time in a while, the Madrigals will be performing an a cappella showcase of modern songs having only the accompaniment of their vocals.

“This isn’t something that we have ever done, so it is really new and exciting. It’s really fun to sing songs we hear on the radio and really cool to sing the parts that we usually hear as instruments in songs,” sophomore Lauren Aviram said.
Since the style of a cappella singing is roughly like any other kind of singing, the Madrigals have been practicing since October, took a break until the last school week of December and then started back in Jan. So ultimately, five weeks of practicing have gone into keeping their focus and “perfecting” their chorals.
Matt McDonald, a current singer in the a capella group Axiom, came to help teach and train the Madrigals the style and means of a capella singing.
“It requires a lot of focus because there is nothing to mask your errors,” senior Miguel Ramirez said. “Also, a capella is unique because it really pushes you as group to make it sound pleasing and exciting. This type of music requires all of the skills that we learned and it’s going to be a real test for us.”