Boys tennis faces defeat in CIF semifinals, enters state

Sophomore Jonah Malkin prepares to serve during one of his matches in the CIF Semifinals on May 15.
Photo Credit: Robert Katz

Michelle Banayan, social media director

The varsity boys tennis team culminated its season with a victory in the Ocean League, 10-2,  qualifying for CIF.  However, during the CIF semifinals match on Wednesday, May 16 at home, the team faced a crushing blow against the Palm Desert Aztecs, 17-1.

“Playing CIF is one of the hardest things in all of tennis, although it is not as difficult to get there,” junior Ethan Kunin, who played three matches on Wednesday and lost all three, said. “The tournament was so tough, but we [gave it our all] so I have absolutely no regrets.”

Despite the significant loss, team members commended their teamwork and sportsmanship during the match.

“We play like a team,” senior Cosimo Bocchi said.  “Although we play individual matches, we all have respect towards each other and do our best for the team as a whole, not just for ourselves.  We really want to leave a mark with our hard work.”

Although they were defeated during this round of CIF, the varsity boys tennis team has qualified for state along with 16 other teams in California.