BREAKING: Superintendent Dr. Michael Bregy, BHUSD working to devise plan for COVID-19

Photo labeled for reuse.

Ava Seccuro co-editor-in-chief
Superintendent Dr. Michael Bregy issued a statement to staff yesterday afternoon regarding the status of educational processes after spring recess due to the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
The district is in “daily contact” with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health and neighboring school districts, Bregy wrote. Currently, school is expected to resume on March 23 following the normal timeline of spring break. 
As the World Health Organization declared the COVID-19 outbreak a pandemic, Bregy described this time as “uncertain” and “unpredictable.” However, he reported that there are no reported cases of COVID-19 within BHUSD. He emphasized vigilant monitoring of emails from either himself, BHUSD or Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services Dustin Seemann for updates on education instruction in the event of a district-wide closure.
Prior to President Donald Trump’s announcement of suspension of travel from certain European countries, BHUSD’s travel policy is as follows: if you visit a location over spring break that has been declared by the CDC as a Warning Level 3 or Alert Level 2, you must report this to Principal Mark Mead and Coordinator of Student Services Phil Wenker. Upon your return to Los Angeles, you must self-quarantine for 14 days. These absences will be excused.
In the event of online instruction/home learning, students should take home their district issued devices and any other textbooks or learning materials.
Despite the fact that school is reported to resume immediately after spring break, Bregy wrote there is a “very likely possibility” that home-learning may occur.
“Let’s be honest, these are crazy times. I understand where your contractual obligations begin and end. Whatever you can do to help our students would be incredible, especially in the event of unprecedented decisions that might need to be made next week in the event of a District closure,” he wrote. “Let’s be real, at some point this is a very likely possibility and this opens unchartered territory for us personally and professionally.”
The district has referred the community to the sources listed below for updates on COVID-19, travel restrictions, quarantine standards and Los Angeles County Department of Health announcements.

Bregy, on behalf of the district, urges students to take preventative measures and wash their hands frequently. Below is a district-issued infographic on how to effectively wash your hands to protect yourself from COVID-19. Stay tuned for more updates issued by the district or this publication.